Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why not "do nothing"?

As noted in the linked article, sometimes doing nothing is far better than doing something. Not every "problem" can be fixed by "doing something". Unfortunately for us, politicians see everything as problems to be solved by doing something, even doing anything so that at least they can say that they tried to fix it, completely ignoring the historical evidence that most government "fixes" make things far more worst for the effort.

In this specific case, the government wants to completely redo (read screw) 96% of the population to expand support (that already exists) for the remaining 4%. Don't forget, a big reason we are in the position we are in now with health care (which really is not that bad all things considered) is that government got involved in the first place. Government is involved a) in giving tax breaks to businesses for offering health insurance which should be stopped because it hides the real costs of services from the consumer, b) mandating (mostly at the state level) specific levels of coverage instead of allowing citizens to truly pick just the coverage they want, and c) artificially tampering with insurance pools to skew the cost curve by not allowing insurers to either charge the real rate for insurance to specific individuals based on lifestyle and/or pre-existing conditions like life insurance currently can.

Health insurance was originally intended to cover catastrophic illness, not routine and preventative items. It now (in many cases) covers office visits, prescriptions, pregnancy benefits (even for men) and other extensions that many people would rather not have but forces an across the board cost increase on everyone. Health insurance was meant to be like life insurance, you pay a little to cover you for the rare occurrence of something tragic. You only die once and hope that it is far in the future but there are no guarantees so as a responsible adult, you get life insurance now, pay a little along and along and know your family is covered if you die. That is what health insurance was and could (maybe should) be again. You pay a little along and along to cover you for the rare big ticket things like accidents that result in hospital stays. You pay for your own yearly check up and your own Viagra. Is that so hard to understand and accept? All it takes is a little personal responsibility both for your life and your choices, something that too few are willing to own these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment