Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I want a grown-up attitude...

I want you to have a grown-up attitude too. I truly would have expected more sense from a 64 year old woman and what I get instead is more like this:

I want a grown-up attitude to Cuba, for instance, a country and people I love. I want an end to the war immediately, and I want the soldiers to be encouraged to destroy their weapons and drive themselves out of Iraq. I want the Israeli government to be made accountable for its behaviour to the Palestinians, and I want the people of the US to cease acting as if they don't understand what is going on. But most of all I want someone with the confidence to talk to anyone, "enemy" or "friend", and this Obama has shown he can do.

Where to start?

We have a grown up attitude to Cuba. If we had a childish attitude, we would not have stopped at but one failed attempt to dispose of a tyrant that has plagued the country and people you love for too many years.

You want to end the war immediately? And if doing so results in the thousands of Iraqi dead that most knowledgeable people predict, that is just the cost of getting out and GWB's fault too?

You want the Israeli government to be made accountable for its behaviour to the Palestinians, well I want the Palestinians and the rest of the Arab world held accountable for their behaviour toward Israel. You believe they have not acted in good faith? I beg to differ. I believe that they have been far more restrained than I would be if I were not only surrounded by people that want to eliminate me from the face of the earth but constantly show me that their attitudes have not recently changed by lobbing rocket bombs at me on a daily basis.

You also want the people of the US to cease acting as if they don't understand what is going on. From my vantage point it is mostly those of the "community based reality" that insist on acting like they don't know what is going on and instead act like they are on a grade school play ground and some adult will show up at any moment and set it all right.

Last but not least you want someone with the confidence to talk to anyone, "enemy" or "friend". There is a big difference between talking to someone and wasting your breath while those you talk to use that time to plan and prepare for your destruction. Ask the citizens of North Korea how well all the talking has been going lately. I am quite sure none of them are starving any more since we have all spent so much time talking. Ask the people in Dufar how well talking is working on not getting them wiped out.

It is one thing to have hope and it is another to completely forget that you live in the real world where there are people that are not only just not nice but people that so truly hate other people that they will do all in their power to crush and/or kill them, people that are so drunk with power that everyone else's life is worth the price for them to hang on to that power. I hate to say this to a 64 year old woman but please grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment