Monday, November 13, 2017

"The Orville", not your daddy's (or my) "Star Trek"

I thought I would give "The Orville" a try as it seemed like a more out-right comedic version of Star Trek, which to me sounded like a winner and fresh fare for those that have seen EVERY SINGLE episode of the original and the related and the "in the neighborhood" shows (like Firefly - darn good series, sorry it didn't make it). In fact I went into this wanting to like it. To date I have seen the first9 episodes and so far I have learned:

- Episode 3, "About a Girl": Homosexual sex is not only A-OK but is absolutely normal and nothing to bat an eye at. In that same episode, I learned that it is perfectly fine to NOT tell your spouse that you had a sex change until you absolutely have to. It is also acceptable to change the sex of your newborn if you find their natural / genetic sex uncomfortable. Secondary lessons learned, if it were not for women, men would be playing with high explosives in the middle of every down town city (with no regard to public safety) and we would all be a bunch artless, boorish "men" where our greatest author would be shunned and hidden away [from the world] woman.

- Episode 9, "Cupid's Dagger": If your wife had an affair with another man, it is NOT her fault and you are a d*ck if you get mad and divorced because it was not her fault. Also, homosexual sex is GREAT and as a side affect, being (now) bisexual is just another day (more partner options yay!). A secondary "teachable moment" is that using chemicals to entice men and women into bed is OK too, as long as everyone has fun.

There were some "high points" like episode 7 ("Majority Rule") where they take a thoughtful swipe at social media and those infatuated with same.

I am still on the fence as to if I will stick with this "space" series. I am no prude and I am a big boy and can see the liberal propaganda for what it is. I do get tired of having all of these liberal hot-button items jammed down my throat on a 24/7 basis though. Surveys show that as much as 2.1% of the population is gay or bisexual. If you were to go by how that group is represented on TV, you would think the percentage is closer to an order of magnitude higher. I have also notices a marked increase in the requisite "gay" character in teen movies. It seems that every "clique" has to have their representative of each interest group to get past those that approve TV/movie projects. I personally do not care if you are straight, gay, bisexual, or other. I do care that it is jammed into every movie, TV show, commercial, etc. at a much higher percentage than is representative of the general population. Enough already! Give it a rest. I wish all of these "creative" types would focus more on the plot and the story than on the composition of the case of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment