Monday, July 27, 2009

Not a hate crime?

To start with, I do not believe in "hate crime" or hate crime laws. I think that they make an arbitrary distinction between crimes based on motivation. In the realm of hate crime supporters, it is a worst thing for someone to be beaten up for their race than their money. It is a worst think for someone to be killed because of their race then because you don't like their shoes. That gets to motivation and I don't think motivation is relevant. That is my opinion as it is but there are hate crime laws and as such, since they do exist, I think that they should at least be applied equally. Well as most PC things go, there is equal and than there is equal.

In this case, a brick was thrown through the window of a 4 year old's bedroom. There was racial comments on the brick. If the brick said "white is right" and the home was that of a black person or Latino, I would bet my paycheck that the police, papers and nightly news would be calling that a hate crime and would be bringing in the FBI to get to the bottom of it.

It just so happens though that in this case the 4 year old was white and the racial comments were "Keep Eastside Black. Keep Eastside Strong".

How this can not be classified as a hate crime is beyond me unless you subscribe to the school of thought that says non-whites can not be racists, in which case this is just plain old vandalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment